while cleaning the c drive the other day, I found one file folder that read “mom’s”.
that was vague and mysterious enough to have me wonder what it was, and instead of deleting it immediately (pffft. like I would do that..) I played it.
I am not going to lie when I tell you it brought tears to my eyes.
I forgot this even existed.
it is only a few seconds, but they are wonderful seconds.
it was october 5th, 2004. ashley made her way into this world via emergency c-section.
my plan for how that day was supposed to go, was completely thrown out the window.
as I look back on that day, I remember how wonderful it was, but realize how terrifying it must have been for merrill. I have nothing but wonderful memories. sure, I was nervous. but it was one of the four most wonderful days of my life.
those days are in the past, the seconds have ticked by way too fast.
eight years later…
and here we are!
happy birthday my little ashley.
for the record:
- you LOVE anything and everything coconut.
- you are not “short”, you are “fun-sized”.
- you love soccer.
- despite your energy level and active little body, you are not exhausted at the end of the day. you are a night owl. (one more item to add to the short list of traits you inherited from me.)
- you want tacos for your birthday dinner tonight. my bet is that you eat the leftover tomatoes.
- you are so excited to be baptized!
- I can’t tell you what your favorite color is. I am not sure, it seems to change weekly now. just a couple of weeks ago, it was orange. you wanted your whole room orange! then it was fuchsia, then blue, and now, well as of yesterday anyway, it is maroon.
- you have suddenly turned into a neat freak. your room hasn’t been messy for 2 weeks now!
- you are so thoughtful. you asked for a coconut cake for your birthday, but realizing that lynn and dad don’t care for coconut, you asked if I could make a chocolate cake too.
we are so happy to have you as our favorite middle child!