Tuesday, September 27, 2011

“pin”spiration.

so let me tell you how pinterest snagged me and hasn’t quite eased up.
a lot of my friends out there (you better know who you are..) have been talking all about it, saying how great it is, yadda yadda yadda.
knowing how I am, a rebel to all that is popular, I ignored it.  for a while.
you see, I had a routine for saving all those things that I found around the internet and blogs that I loved, and dreamed of making, that just wasn’t working out as well as it had been.
I began saving images in my picture file on my computer.  (good.)
my sister-in-law told me of a genius idea to put those things in their own folder on my computer, labeled, what else: “ideas”.  (better!)
but then there arose the issue of me not remembering exactly where I got the idea from.  (instructions are very important things at times.)  oh sure, I usually knew where I got the idea from, sometimes there was a watermark on the image, but to sift through hundreds of blog posts, sometimes months after I came across the idea, was a major time waster.
so I tried to save all the ideas I liked in my bookmarks folder.
until merrill made fun of me.
and really, before he mocked me, it really wasn’t working.  there were vague descriptors of what that bookmark was marking, no image, and the were forgotten.
enter pinterest.
I looked into it, and it made total sense.  it solved all of my problems in that, I could save the picture AND the link to where the idea was found.  no searching and pulling my hair out trying to find the original source!!
oh, but that is not all..
it does more!
I can sort all of my “pins” into neat little categories or boards (something that I am still trying to perfect).  so all my halloween stuff is on one board and christmas gets its own area.  photography ideas don’t mingle with recipes..  it’s order, not chaos anymore!!
I also love that I can follow people whose style I admire, people who have crazy ingenuity and creativity.
I am totally addicted.
(I have also found new blogs to stalk..)
so out of my love of pinning, and creating my own version of others ideas, I am officially coining the new word: “pinspiration”.
I saw this:
(click on image for source.)
ipicktreat
and I LOVED it!!!
(it is so me, and a few others I know..)
I took the idea, tweaked it a bit, and came up with this:
(click on the image for full list of credits.)
pinspiration
I can see that this is going to be a long, beautiful relationship!

3 comments:

Bits and Pieces of Me...Emily! said...

I can just look at all the ideas you have, and pretend that i can do them too! :) Any other ideas for Halloween? I walked through Ti Pan, and had no clue, no clue what to do with anything there! :)

Jocelyn said...

hee hee!!! I am so glad you came to the dark side!!! Pinterest is lovely isn't it!!! So many fun ideas in a neat orderly fashion. Your take on the pin is absolutely adorable...and I pick treat any day of the month!!!

mandi said...

I've been dragging my feet in this area as well. I just know that I will get sucked into the vortex and never be able to find my way back out. I kind of have that problem already. Plus, I have this sweet program on my computer called portfolio that does the same thing as pinterest [meaning it saves the link and has a place for notes/comments]. My sister keeps telling me I need switch over though because, by her diagnosis, that is what is bogging down the laptop. I might ask you for an invite...