Saturday, October 25, 2008

Taggie 101...

You've asked...
Here's how I made that cute taggie blanket... I must add that the idea came from one that my visiting teacher had for her little girl, Peyton attacked it! I saw how much people are asking for them online... I can make this...
First:
Cut...
Cut your fabric to whatever size you want the blanket to be, but remember to add extra for your seams...
Fuzzy fabric is fun... print fabrics are fun... whatever you like...
I cut mine to 21 inches, square.

Then cut your ribbon, whatever tickles your fancy, to a length that also tickles your fancy. I cut mine to 6 inches, but varying lengths would be cute too... use the same ribbon, or lots of different kind. That's where the fun comes in for babies, different colors, textures, and patterns = fun!
I just so happen to have a small addiction to ribbon...Fold you cut ribbon in half, and press.
Arrange your ribbon in a way you like, and pin it to the right side of one of your fabric pieces, making sure that your folded ends are pointed towards the center of your fabric, not the raw edge! It's fun to layer the ribbon too..
Sew around all four sides in a zig-zag stitch. I used the side of my presser foot as my guide, it's 3/8 inch.
Take your pins out, this will make the turning process much more pleasant on a minute!
Then take your other piece of fabric, put right sides together so the ribbon is sandwiched in between, like this...
Mark one 6 inch section where you will not sew so you can turn your blanket right side out... and sew it all, using your first zig-zag as your guide.
Snip your corners to make them pretty once you turn them, and to lessen bulk...
Turn it, making sure you get your corners perfect too! Fold your edges of that 6 inch section in, pin, and...
...top-stitch (that's with a straight stitch now...) around the whole blanket.

Voila!
A darling taggie!
Look at those colors... I so want a boy!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

cute! i want to feel it.

pebes2 said...

i absolutely love this blanket! My sister is having a little girl this month and this will be perfect. Thank you for all your cool ideas.