Monday, December 15, 2008

I can finally talk about it!!!

Our sweet Pey...It has been a month now that we have been dealing with a little stress concerning our littlest one... I haven't said anything on my blog, well not anything that is public :)... mostly because I know that so many of you are going through so much more... my trial and worry is like a feather in comparison to the boulders others are bearing these days. But it has been my worry... I also didn't want to say anything until there was a resolution in the matter...
It all started a month ago at Peyton's 9 month well-child check. The doctor was checking her hip joints and he heard a click in her right hip. Worried that it could be hip dysplasia, he sent us to the hospital for ultrasounds. (A blessing there was that we could go to McKay, not Primary's, because there was a new, pediatric radiologist who had just started there in July.. we didn't need to make the journey to Primary's.)
Many prayers were said, her name put in the temple multiple times, and a priesthood blessing the night before she was to go in for the ultrasounds.
Well, her bones had already ossified so that meant the ultrasounds wouldn't render the results sought after... X-rays were in order (which I would suggest giving out as inexpensive gifts this holiday season... they were only $13.66! I might just go and get one myself! ;P...). I watched as the X-rays came up on the screen in the radiology office, and after a week of looking at many pelvic X-rays online, everything looked fine... symmetrical, no gaps, her femoral heads were in the hip sockets... but, of course they wouldn't tell me anything. I had to wait for them to give the results to the ordering physician, my doctor.
A day later, he called.
"It's just as I thought... mild hip dysplasia in her left hip..."
"Left hip?.. you were concerned about her right hip."
"That's right! It was my left hand that her right leg was in... that's weird. So there's a click in her right hip with nothing to show for it.... Her left hip does show signs of mild hip dysplasia. Her left femur is turned 2 degrees outside of normal range (more test results read...)... you'll have to go to Primary Children's to see a pediatric orthopedic surgeon to see if there is anything that should/needs to be done."
The results to a Google search were scary. To see what treatment options are out there... casts, braces, harnesses, surgery... my sweet little girl who is on the move and enjoys every stinkin' minute of it! To think of her stuck in a cast, brace, or bed... it tore me up. But as my mother said, "Don't iron your clothes until there are wrinkles in them..." I have been trying not to think of what "could be". But how big a deal could 2 degrees be?
So we've been waiting, trying to live faithfully, keep busy so our minds don't go to that... I have felt pretty good about it though.
Here we are...
Last night I was praying big time... there was supposed to be a snowstorm moving into the valley this afternoon. I prayed, even though I really wanted the snow, that it would hold off until after our appointment. I prayed that no matter the outcome, everything would work together. I prayed that she would be happy and calm. In her priesthood blessing this morning given by her most awesome and incredible dad, the guy I am so blessed and downright lucky to be married to, he blessed her with that same thing... and that the doctors and nurses would be able to do those things that would enable them to see that nothing was wrong. She had a healthy and able body.
No snow falling from the skies this morning as we left. We got there, no big deal. I honestly felt so guilty walking through the halls of that hospital, seeing so many sick children, and here I am with my perfectly healthy child... and I am worried about hip dysplasia?! Her appointment started with a new pelvic X-ray... and then we saw the surgeon.
He saw NOTHING WRONG with her hips. NOTHING...
"Even if there were still that 2 degree difference, I would recommend that she walk. That's how you best get things where they need to be. And since she's already walking..." and Pey was yukking it up with him the whole time. The flirt. Cheesing it at him whenever he'd look at her. Laughing when ever he'd move her legs. Yep.. she was happy and calm.
As for that "click" in her right hip, he said it was a ligament that was tight over her hip right there and when you move her leg, it just snaps. He called it "silly"...
Blessings!!!
We left. Thankful.
We live so close to such an awesome children's hospital. They have an incredible staff of people who truly love and care about children.
To have those people...
So many prayers were heard and answered in our favor!
No snow!
She was happy and calm.
I was able to find the place...
We have the priesthood.... in our home!
We can go to the temple to find peace.
Prayer...
She is fine...
The first flakes of the expected snowstorm began to fall as I was on my final stretch of the drive home, coming up "the hill".
Blessings.
I have many angels in my life... you have shown up or called at just the right time. I love you all!!
But I am most grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who never ceases to bless and amaze me with his never-ending love... His most awesome blessings!

13 comments:

stacy said...

i am so glad to hear that everything turned out good. what a emotional thing to go though. there are no things too small when it comes to our children! love pey, love you!

Emalee said...

I am glad nothing is wrong and that she is as healthy as a horse :P

Jenny said...

so many blessings! I am happy for you!

GRAMEE said...

happy healthy baby!!
happy mommy

Platt Family said...

Glad to hear the good news. Yes, they are great at Primarys, I really enjoyed being there doing my rounds. Hope you all feel better about the situation and can now have no worries!

Six-Pack Momma said...

What a relief. Between this and your new calling, you can relax and enjoy the holidays. :)

Laura said...

I am so glad everything is ok. You are so blessed. I agree, Primary Children's is amazing, I am a big fan (since I work there;))

kdance10 said...

Mindy. Glad to hear everything is all good. I love that hospital. Been there way to many times with my kids for open heart surgery, tonsils, tubes, r.s.v but they are way nice people. Really glad she is okay thats always scary not nowing whats going on.

Promise said...

MIN...I talked to Mom before I read this...but I am sooooo releived! I know you were worried and for everything to be ok...what a blessing. Love you guys...give that little cutie a kiss for me!

Ally0005 said...

I'm so glad everything is ok what a blessing. I understand about not taling about it on the blog. I don't talk about Anna's medical problem on my blog.
Have a great blessed day and don't forget to enter my give-away.

Tiffany said...

So glad that everything is okay. I don't think it's ever just a small thing when it comes to a worrying mom. It's just part of the gig.

BookwormMom said...

I'm SOOOOO glad. I've been thinking about you since last night; I'm relieved that everything went well.

Jamie said...

Wow! I'm so glad everything is ok, that is scary for a mom to go through!