Saturday, March 14, 2009

Decorating Demo..

For Relief Society (RS) the other night, I was asked to do a cake decorating demonstration.
I can think of three other women, right off the top of my head, better equipped to do this.. but I did have fun!
Forgive the pics.. I am not a photographer! :D
I have a confession to make...
It was my first time ever playing with fondant.. it was fun!
I had to use my imagination to dream up some little boy ideas.. I am a girl expert though!
I use Wilton colors for everything (fondant included) and their featherweight bags. My favorite cake mix is Betty Crocker's butter recipe mixes, and I was taught a trick by my SIL from her friend that makes your cakes moist and yummy.. after you have let them cool, wrap them in foil and put them in the freezer until they are ready to decorate. It makes them easier to frost too!I used a grass tip on this one with a dinosaur cookie cutter to cut out the fondant.
Cookie cutters + fondant are my new best friends :D
Same tip, different cookie cutter. I shaped the flower center and the leaf by hand.
Grass tip, large star tip, butter fly cookie cutter.
Large star tip, "3" cookie cutter, and I rolled the balls out of left over fondant.
Small star tip..
So easy.. crushed Oreos (dirt) and a gummy worm cut in half.
This is a caterpillar made of whoppers.. so cute and so yummy!
Grass tip again. Water brushed on the fondant gives it a glossy look.
Cookie and Elmo. I used the grass tip again for the fur, rolled fondant into balls for the eyes and nose. Cookie Monster is feasting on a mini Chips A'hoy.. I became an expert on Cookie Monster when Lynn fell in love with him as a baby.
Cade helped me with this one. He smooshed the Oreos for my dirt and helped me place and re-place the dump truck repeatedly...
These flowers are another learned trick from Jaclyn. They are the chocolate candy melts, melted in a Zip-Loc bag, then the corner is snipped. I piped a doodle-y flower on to waked paper on my cutting board and put it into the fridge. Once they hardened, I placed them on the cake.
Easy-peasy! Here's the cupcake...
More large star tip and butterflies!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

... And those were MMM...MMM... Good!

kdance10 said...

Love the flowers on the cup cakes

BookwormMom said...

Those are beautiful...now I'm feeling even more sad that I missed it!!!

Stupid Cold.

Bonnie said...

wow they all look so awesome!