Wednesday, December 7, 2011

sugar cookie bars: more “pinspiration”.

so when there was nothing better to do, I perused pinterest and saw that one of my friends had recently pinned a rather tasty looking treat.

sugar cookie bars 017

I thought, “how perfect for my family!!  they love sugar cookies.”  I don’t so much love the mess.  whenever I roll out the cookie dough, little hands want some to either eat, or roll, roll again, then re-roll to make one nasty looking cookie.  a totally inedible cookie.

this recipe is perfect because you make the dough, spread it in a pan and bake it.  we love our sugar cookies THICK, with lots of frosting, so this was perfect!

I didn’t have any cream cheese on hand, so I made my usual buttercream and everyone was happy.

(although, I know someone might just fall over in shock, but I thought it was too much frosting.)

(gasp.)

here’s the pin.

here’s the recipe:

Sugar Cookie Bars

1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda and stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean (they won't look done so do the toothpick test). Cool completely and frost.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 of an 8 oz block) softened
1 tsp vanilla (I used almond extract for half of the frosting)
¼ tsp salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)
For frosting combine butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk a little at a time and mix until smooth and spreading consistency. You may not need all the milk! Spread over cooled cookie bars.

so go and try them out, use some fun sprinkles!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I am gasping for air over here...there is never such a thing as too much frosting:-)

Bits and Pieces of Me...Emily! said...

OH, I saw a similar recipe over at Annie's eats. I thought it would make a nice neighbor gift and a lot less labor intensive than sugar cookies! And then I made sugar cookies and regretted that impulse they take forever to make! These look yummy! :)