Thursday, December 31, 2009

Carrot Cookies..

It's that time of the month again..
Flavor of the Month has been so much fun to do!!
This month is "Cookies".
While I have many cookie recipes that are my "favorite", I thought I would share one of my childhood favorites, and try to get my kidlets into them too.

Orange Carrot Cookies



3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla (I tried Almond extract in them and mmm..  yummy!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooked, mashed carrot

Cream shortening and sugar together.  Add the egg and mix well.  Add in the dry ingredients, vanilla, and carrot, finish mixing.
Place by teaspoon fulls (I use my smallest scooper) on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.

Then comes the icing..

4 tablespoons butter (or margarine) softened
3 tablespoons orange juice
zest from half an orange
pinch of salt
powdered sugar

Mix all and add powdered sugar until it reaches a thick, but not too runny consistency.
Ice the cookies while still warm.

Now, I LOVE and ADORE carrots..  I have my entire life.  I have given them credit for my great eyesight..  until my late twenties when I had to get reading glasses..
These cookies were a favorite of mine when I was little and I still love them now!  My kids like carrots.  Especially with dip.  But this is not the same thing..  they gave me some interesting looks while making them, so I knew it would be fun getting them to just try them out.  Merrill even gave them a whirl, he was the one giving the weirdest looks by far.  He said they were "okay"..  and he doesn't like much of anything.  In fact, I am still trying to figure out why he likes me! ;)

A little force was necessary on the part of the kiddos trying them out....  :D

7 comments:

jaclyn said...

i would of gladly taste tested! i love me anything carrot!

BookwormMom said...

I under stand their trepidation....veggies in a cookie just seems so wrong to me! ;)

They LOOK pretty ok....

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Oooo....carrots, orange juice...healthy cookies! I like that!

Thank you for linking!

Dorothy said...

Ooh, carrot cookies! That makes it okay to eat for breakfast, right? ;)

Sue said...

Mmmmm, I LOVE carrot cake, so I'm SURE I would love your carrot cookies!!! Yum! Happy New Year!

Diane {Created by Diane} said...

They look yummy!

Jenny said...

It's been awhile since I have read your crafting blog. I love, love this page! So fun! Can I have a little of your talent please?