Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Traditions: Rolls


This month's theme for "Flavor of the Month" (okay last month theme really..) was "Traditions".  I was all ready and very excited for this theme, and my computer was not.
Windows Vista is not my friend, and never was, really.
Now that I am back up and running, here is my contribution, a day late. :)
It is only the best roll recipe EVER!!  It has become a tradition of sorts..  if it weren't already, I would certainly make them one.

Over Night Rolls

Heat, then cool 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of butter or margarine.  In a separate, small bowl (I use my Pyrex measuring cup) mix 1 tablespoon of yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar.  Moisten with a little warm water (like 1/4 cup) to activate the yeast.
In a large bowl, beat 3 eggs, then add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt.  Add the mil mixture, yeast, and 4 cups of flour.  Stir well.
No need to knead.
Cover and let rise overnight.
Next morning, divide the dough.  Roll into two circles on a floured board and cut the circles into 16 triangles (much like a pizza).  Brush with melted butter or margarine and roll into a crescent shape.
Let rise 4-5 hours and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

It might seem like quite a bit of time to some, but well worth it!
I have memories of the smell of this dough filling the house on Sundays, tantalizing my taste buds during church..  I am so glad my kiddos enjoy them just as much now as I do.

2 comments:

bridget {bake at 350} said...

My mouth is WATERING just reading the description! I love that you start them the day before...genius!

Bonnie said...

Thank you Thank you! I am bringing the rolls next year!