Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Doctor's visitS...

Emphasis on the "S" there..
It's no secret, I haven't been feeling well lately and just to prove it, I went to the doctor twice, in two days.
It has been a puzzling illness..  but as I researched my symptoms repeatedly (until my computer decided it didn't want to anymore..) it kept coming back to me that it was something with my ears.
I kept brushing it off, because some days, I would wake up, and despite a little dizziness, I would feel fine.
Other mornings, I would get up, and feel awful.
It was quite puzzling.
I really wanted to just get back at life, and I think that was part of the problem, I was pushing myself into it.  I confirmed I was not preggers, and went on wondering what would make me feel this way.
After missing church the previous Sunday, I decided I was not going to miss it this last Sunday.
That was bad.
Sitting in RS for that 45 minutes was awful, but two (three now that I think of it) separate conversations there, again pointed to something with my inner ear.
Julie kept the girls there, and Merrill took me to the doctor.
We got to wait 45 minutes to see our favorite (read the major sarcasm here) doctor, and was basically told that I had what I originally though I had, Benign Positional Vertigo, this decided after making me prove how off my balance was during a bunch of ridiculous tests.
His remedy, the aforementioned Meclizine and get this, PHYSICAL THERAPY.
That would require both time and money, two things that are not in abundance this time of the year..
Not to mention, that had nothing to do with what my gut was telling me.
I kept bringing up the possibility of an infection, to which he basically brushed off, and told me there was no way to tell unless they did an MRI (cha-ching!)..  I was near tears. 
Before he left the room to get the prescription, he asked if I had hoped the outcome would be different, if there was anything that I had thought was lacking.
Why does he open the door for me to tell him he is an idiot?
I didn't say anything.
I will accept the pats on my back...  now.
He came back and handed me the prescription, Merrill the referral to the physical therapist, and again asked why I looked so sad.
Um..  could it be because I have been dealing with this for over a week, and I feel like I am not being listened to, instead brushed off?  Oh, and by the way, I would like to have my life back, instead of appointments with a physical therapist to teach me exercises on balance and to make sure I hadn't had a stroke.
His words.
It didn't look like I had, but it wasn't entirely impossible at my age.
Does he KNOW what he is doing?
After getting me home, and in bed, crying, Merrill left to take care of the prescription.  He got back just in time for Julie and Nate as they dropped the girls off and I got some food and drugs then was wiped out.
That is one of the major side-effects of the Meclizine, drowsiness.
How am I going to get better with that?
I wasn't.
The next day, I woke up feeling dizzy, drowsy, and still that nausea.  The Meclizine is supposed to take dizziness and nausea away.
I was also feeling frustrated, did I mention that?
I called to get an appointment with anyone but HIM, and managed to get an appointment with a doctor that was in the same office as my primary doctor.
The receptionist asked what I was being seen for, and when I told her the brief overview, she said, "Are you serious?" 
Needless to say, I got in, had this doctor spend more time than ANYONE ever has with me, going over every possible reason this could be going on.  My ears have never been examined so much in my life.  He suspected an infection, sent me with a couple of different prescriptions and hope.
With some more inside information from my mother-in-law as to the wonders of Advil Cold an Sinus, information from her ENT (NOT a physical therapist...) I am doing SO much better today.
I am back at life, FINALLY, and able to function.
I am thankful to have my crappy insurance, thankful that I listened to the promptings I was given, and thankful to those who have been so helpful.
Now can anyone help me with all the laundry I need to catch up on? ;)


BookwormMom said...

I'm so glad that you're feeling better...and I wish I had thought about advil cold and sinus...I forgot that when Alec's ears were filled with fluid as a baby, they tried decongestants before they would put tubes in (for the 3rd time)!

I'm also glad for the long update...I've missed your posts!

Ally's Corner said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. I had a double ear infections once and it was bad. Laid me up in bed for a whole day and I was so nausea.

Julie said...

So nice to hear you are feeling better. It's good you got in to see a doctor willing to take the time needed to help you out.