Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I have a blue tongue.. (Recipe for Sugar Cookies)

I do indeed..
It all started with a tradition of sorts. Brooke and I started it the summer of MiKell's first cheer camp, making sugar cookies themed around the cheer sport and school colors.
We just keep on going with it because MiKell keeps going on cheering!
I also found a new use for my fabric cutting guide (a.k.a. clear ruler)..


Perfect for cutting square sugar cookies without wasting dough, and, well, because I don't have a square cutter! :)
Pizza cutters are awesome as well..
See how the lines make everything perfectly square?


Like the BHS cheerleaders will measure these babies before munching them.. make sure they are square. Ha!
I used a flooding technique for the frosting.
Brooke introduced me to a new blog that is mighty inspirational!


My first idea (plan A) to do the lettering didn't quite work out, so I had to move on to a different idea (plan 2 :D) and form the letters, each one, individually, by hand, one at a time..
Am I getting across the point that this was more time intensive than I thought?
Ah, they turned out cute.


The cheerleaders (or cheater-leaders as my girls like to call them) loved them.

The recipe comes from Merrill side of the family, by far THE BEST sugar cookie recipe my mouth has ever drooled over, and on..
I will share:
Because I am nice that way ;)

1 cup softened butter (I use margarine and it works too..)
1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar

Cream the butter, shortening, and granulated sugar. After it's nice and creamy, add the powdered sugar, vanilla and eggs. Sift together the remaining ingredients, and add slowly.
Roll to desired thickness on a loured surface (our house likes between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch). Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375 for 7 1/2 to 8 minutes. Cool and then frost!

Oh, here's the proof of the blue tongue.. and the fact that I ate too much frosting, too late last night..

3 comments:

Ally0005 said...

Girl, you are just so funny!!!!

kdance10 said...

those look so YUMMY i lovee sugar cookie:) they turned out really cute. Go lakers!

Aartee said...

Those cookies look so yummy!