Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Favorite cake: Mom's Chocolate Layer Cake

Well, one of my favs..
I had to have this one for my birthday today.
Like, really.


Mom's Chocolate Layer Cake

favorite chocolate cake (I like Devil's Food)
1small tub Cool Whip
2 bars Baker's unsweetened German chocolate
3/4 cup margarine

Bake cake according to recipe, cool, and cut so you have 4 layers.
Melt 1 1/2 bars of chocolate with margarine over low heat in a small saucepan.  Let cool in the fridge until spreadable, not too runny but not thick.
Start layering your cake..  bottom layer gets a coating of chocolate, then a layer of cake.  Cool whip goes on top, then another layer of cake.  Chocolate comes next, then the last layer of cake.  Top it off with Cool Whip and some shavings from the remaining half of the chocolate bar.  Let it set up in the fridge before serving.

This is also good for breakfast. ;)

7 comments:

BookwormMom said...

Oh my gosh yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claudia said...

Looks yummy!!!

Julie said...

Mmmm, that looks like my kind of breakfast.

Courtney said...

Oh man, all things I love. How do you suppose we could incorporate a little peanut butter in that? Maybe the ice cream? I'm definitely going to make this!

Brooke said...

I'm not a big cake or breakfast eater but I do like cake for breakfast :) I'm not sure that makes any sense at all...

Janet said...

Breakfast??? Oh my goodness you are your father's daughter. You probably eat cold pizza too. Oh wait maybe I ate that cake for breakfast too when I was your age.♥mom

Talita said...

Wow! This looks so moist, rich and chocolaty! Perfect!