Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You get what you give..

I have discovered the best way to kick off the 30th year of life...
Spending it in a twin size bed with two other small people (making that a total of 3 people in the bed).


my bed buddies

Not so great when my body hurts, due to age (I guess) and genetics.
It all began right after I was ready for bed, in my own, warm cozy bed, ready to drift off, when I think I hear a cry.  I immediately assumed it was Peyton, but it wasn't. 
You see, Peyton comes to me.  This cry wasn't coming to me.
It was Ashley.
Now to back up, just a little (okay, try 20+ years), I was a sleep-walker and a sleep-talker.
There are many stories that float around about me and my nocturnal ways.  They are all pretty good, but I feel bad about what kind of things my parents (but mostly mom) had to deal with in the middle of the night.
Some of those things that freaked her out the most, I did while wide awake.
(Sorry mom..  I understand so much better now.)
Ashley, is giving me a taste of my own medicine.
She not only walks and talks in her sleep, she cries.
Inconsolably.
It makes for some exciting (and very frustrating) nights.
I went in a comforted her twice.  Each time, her cries stopped, for a minute.  As soon as I was comfortable again in my own bed, the cries would start up again.  I told myself that she could cry there.  I would stay in my bed.  There was nothing I could do.
The third time, she was not only crying but calling my name as well, and she started talking...  kind of.  So I decided to go to her.
Since only my warm bed was interrupted, not my sleep, I took it all in stride, and had some fun.

"Ashley..  are you okay?"
"Uh-huh.  I need your heeelp.."
"What do you need my help with?"
"Uh-huhhh.."
"Do you need me to tickle you?"
"Uh-huhhh..."
"Do you need me to lick your nose?"
"Uh-huhhhhh..."
Can you guess how this conversation (sort of..) went on?
It covered a wide range of silly activities and a range of bodily functions, all followed with Ashley's response of, "Uh-huhhhh.." .
Finally, all of the silliness (and tickling) had her awake, and she asked if I would come and snuggle with her.
I had to go and get my down blanket (remember MY comfy bed?) and we got right to the snuggling. 
I was still asking her questions and I could tell that she was really awake now.  I asked her if she was going to remember this in the morning, and I was a little worried by her answer, "Uh-huh.."
Right after we were settled, Peyton started to cry in her bed.
That is where the third body came into play.
What a way to start your thirtieth year..
My body hurts.

6 comments:

Six-Pack Momma said...

Only a mom knows how to celebrate like that! Happy birthday, Mindy!

anniebobannie said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite Mindy ever!

Rachael said...

Happy Birthday Mother Of Three!!!

Jesse sleep walks and sleep talks still to this day. Hayden does the same thing you just described to me. Only he has to be left alone screaming until he wakes himself up. Otherwise he just flails and hurts you (I've learned this the hard way). It usually last about twenty minutes of so.

I can ask Jesse anything anytime after midnight (while he's sleeping) he will go and do it, or he will answer me and not remember anything in the morning.

BookwormMom said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

I'm sorry that your body hurts, though....

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

Poor Ashley! I have a son that does that every night! I always wonder what is going on! Happy 30th by the way, don't you feel so grown up now? I know I do! :)

Amanda said...

MIne too!! I hear you.. I am often up 5 times a night! :)

You are amazing girl!

God bless-
Amanda