Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken..


One of our favorites!
I have been cooking this for quite some time..  we are entering our tenth year of marriage, so at least that long.  Long enough, that as I got out the recipe tonight to make it (and I do only to make sure my measurements are what I remember them to be..) I thought it's high time it was promoted from my fluorescent green post-it note, to somewhere more permanent and worthy.
Hmmm...  blogworthy?
I do think so..

Sweet and Sour Chicken

1 can pineapple (chunks, tidbits, sliced, pick your favorite)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons corn startch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 beef bullion cubes (or 4 teaspoons if you use another form of bullion like I do)
green pepper, seeded and sliced
Chicken breasts (this recipe can make enough for 4 breasts)

Drain pineapple and save juice.  Set aside pineapple and add water to the juice until you have 1 1/2 cups of liquids.  In a large saucepan, add the liquid mixture, brown sugar, salt, cornstarch, and the cider vinegar.  Whisk over medium heat until the cornstarch is well dissolved.  Continue stirring and watch for it to thicken.  Once it stars to bubble and thicken, add the bullion and soy sauce.  Continue stirring.  Reduce heat so it is at a simmer.  Add raw chicken, either whole or cubed, the pepper and pineapple and let cook until the chicken is no longer pink.  Serve over rice.

Now we like to mix it up at our house..  we began breading our chicken and cooking it in a separate pan to PF Chang it up.  To heighten that, we started serving it over cooked angel hair pasta.  Any way you choose, you can't go wrong with this sauce!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

YUM! We'll definitely be trying this one out!

kdance10 said...

YUMMY!!! I love anything that is sweet and sour, thanks:)

Diane {Created by Diane} said...

sounds yummy!
I make an extremely similar sauce and put it on meatballs when I have any left over,(not often as my kids just said how long it had been since the last time) over egg noodles and my kids go crazy for it.

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

I am currently making this! You inspired me to try it. Although, mine is looking a little runny...oh well, it still looks good!

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

oh and it was! My kids loved it (even Luke, who protested before he even tried it that he doesn't like it..liked it!) My picky husband loved it, and I thought it was great! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

We had this for dinner last night and everyone loved it, even the picky eaters. Thanks for sharing!